Counsel / Senior Counsel - Institutional & Administrative (4974) (Base in Beijing)
Ref. Number: 23018 Department: Legal Department Job Type: Global Recruitment Posting Date: Jan. 5, 2023 Closing Date: Feb. 28, 2023 Counsel / Senior Counsel - Institutional & Administrative
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow-infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 106 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized at USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Collaborating with partners, AIIB meets clients' needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Counsel/Senior Counsel - Institutional and Administrative will be primarily responsible for providing legal and policy advice and support to the Corporate Secretary Vice Presidency and the Office of the President, with a view to protecting AIIB's interests and ensuring compliance with its mandate, policies and procedures. In particular, the Counsel/Senior Counsel-Institutional and Administrative will be responsible for advising on governance issues in connection with the operations of the Board of Governors, the Board of Directors, and the administration of AIIB by the President, among many others. The Counsel/Senior Counsel-Institutional and Administrative may also be assigned by the line manager to work across functional boundaries, including in the areas under the authority of the Vice President, Chief Administration Officer, and other institutional or administrative functions on which the Legal Department is required to advise. Responsibilities:
- Provide legal and policy advice and support to the Corporate Secretary Vice Presidency and the Office of the President on the outreach to member governments, admission of new members, preparations for, and conduct of, the meetings of the Board of Governors, the Board of Directors, and other governance related matters.
- Provide legal advice on the interpretation of AIIB's constituent instrument and other legal instruments adopted or issued by the governing organs of AIIB.
- Draft and negotiate legal instruments with Members on AIIB's privileges and immunities, including in relation to AIIB's headquarters as well as offices outside of AIIB's headquarters.
- Advise the Administration Vice Presidency on administrative legal matters, including those in relation to human resources management (including the formulation of employment, compensation and benefits, staff grievances mechanism policies and the application of those policies to specific cases), corporate procurement, ethics and integrity functions, facilities and administrative services, communications as well as emerging social media issues, personal data privacy and the use of information technology.
- Advise the Policy and Strategy Vice Presidency on partnerships initiatives including the Multilateral Cooperation Center for Development Finance (MCDF).
- Conduct research and draft memoranda, correspondence, legal opinions, papers, and notes concerning institutional and, as requested, administrative issues.
- Provide support on the development of AIIB's internal legal framework.
- Promote innovative approaches and seek improvement of work process and product.
- Coordinate and collaborate in the legal field with other MDBs and development partners to advance AIIB's purpose and objectives in assigned areas.
- Display good judgment and being answerable for the work product and advice provided.
- Contribute to institutional, departmental or unit initiatives, including knowledge management and publications.
- Perform other assignments at the line manager's request to further the superior performance of the functions of the Legal Department.
- Minimum 5-8 years for Counsel and 8-10 years for Senior Counsel of relevant professional experience, preferably wide-ranging experience in the relevant aspects of international organizations' (including MDBs') legal work.
- Excellent command of English, including drafting and negotiating legal documents in English.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent legal drafting and legal advisory abilities.
- Strong communication skills, including speaking persuasively and presenting ideas clearly.
- Intellectual leadership and strong interpersonal, diplomatic and partnership skills.
- Ability to innovate while mitigating legal risk.
- Superior level of resourcefulness, ability to work autonomously, under pressure and in a team.
- Advanced law degree and qualified to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while growing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.