Research Analyst / Associate
- Basic salary + performance bonus
- Contract, Full time
- NUS Risk Management Institute
- 14 Mar 19
Be part of a dynamic team in analysing risk in today’s financial markets. Join the Risk Management Institute (RMI) as a Research Analyst / Associate in the Credit Research Initiative! You will compute and publish probabilities of default (PD) of listed firms globally based on RMI’s quantitative model, and contribute to the on-going research and development of the model. This is a cross-functional role that requires the exploration of different dimensions of risk management. It will challenge successful applicants and is a great learning and development opportunity. Successful applicant can look forward to join one of the teams below.
1. VALIDATION TEAM
The Validation Team (VT) handles the assessment of models servicing a wide range of activities across the CRI, including Probability of Default, Actuarial Spread and Stress Testing models. As a member in the Validation Team, you will work on a variety of models covering many aspects of the model life cycle, including data management, methodology, programming and quantitative assessment. Successful candidates will contribute to the CRI’s assessment and evaluation of credit risk models.
- Independent evaluation of existing risk models including PD, AS and Stress Testing models.
- Assist with the delivery of the validation plan, ensuring timely identification of issues.
- Quantitative assessment of model performance via data evaluation and statistical testing.
- Coordination with internal stakeholders on model issues, achieving suitable resolutions.
- Deal with urgent and/or ad-hoc requests.
- Preferably major in the area of economics, statistics, mathematics, finance, physics, computer science, or similar discipline.
- Proactive attitude, strong sense of responsibility.
- Independent thinker and fast learner, strong interest in credit risk analysis.
- Curious, with ability of speaking up and challenging perceived wisdom.
- Strong focus on quality control and attention to details.
- Familiarity with MATLAB, Python or R
- Experience in SQL, VBA or Julia is a plus.
2. DEVELOPMENT TEAM
The Development Team (DT) continuously improves the CRI’s in-house models and systems, and develops new applications. As a member of the DT, the candidate should have an in-depth understanding about CRI products and always keep an open mind to new things. The job scope ranges from data analysis, database design to website and API design and so on. We welcome candidates who enjoy the challenging and exciting working environment.
- Gain a deep understanding on CRI models by putting them into practical implementation.
- Develop end-user products such as APIs, websites to facilitate the use of CRI models and data as well as build tools and infrastructure for internal usage.
- Academic background of the following subjects is preferred: computer science, information technology or related discipline. Candidates who are interested in financial industry are also welcome.
- Proficient programming skills in any one of Julia, Python, MATLAB.
- Solid experience in building web applications and REST APIs using Django and Django REST Framework.
- Experience with Test Driven Development and writing unit, integration and functional tests.
- Knowledge of web application servers like Apache, Nginx and infrastructure components like Redis, Memcached, load balancers, etc.
- Working familiarity with AWS/Azure/GCP. Bonus points for experience with Docker.
- Proactive attitude and strong sense of responsibility.
- High efficiency, and able to manage multiple tasks and projects concurrently.
3. MARKET MONITORING TEAM
The Market Monitoring Team (MMT) is a window to continually observe financial markets and conduct relevant studies by using proprietary methods with the aim to promote CRI’s products and relate to current market events. As a member in the MMT, the candidate will quickly gain knowledge to CRI models as well as develop a greater understanding on financial markets from a credit perspective. The main tasks will be to conduct researches and financial/credit analysis on industries and companies, market surveillance for credit events and working on projects with other teams.
You will have ample opportunities to improve your writing and analytical skills. Through working with other teams, you will also learn quantitative modelling and acquire useful IT and database knowledge preparing you to become a better functioning analyst who can leverage modern analytical tools.
- Conduct and publish credit/investment research reports on companies and industries in a timely manner and assist in writing quarterly and other special reports on credit market issues.
- Carry out market surveillance and to look for credit events in accordance with CRI’s credit event definition, to file credit event data in the database, etc.
- Initiate and manage inter-team projects.
- Deal with urgent and/or ad-hoc requests from supervisors.
- Academic background or industry experience of any of the following subjects is preferred: finance, accounting, economics, banking, business strategy, and business law. Certification of CFA or CPA is a plus. Candidates working in non-financial industry are also welcome.
- Have a proven ability to conduct financial analysis and independently analyze and write financial research reports.
- Have strong interest in the fields of investment/ credit/ risk management analysis.
- Good team player with a strong sense of responsibility.
- Able to coordinate and manage group projects between teams.
- Able to handle pressure and meet deadlines.
- Being multilingual will be a plus.
Applicants should submit their applications electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly indicate the team you are interested in applying for in your application. Your application should include:
- Application Form; (you may retrieve the forms at https://www.rmicri.org/en/job/)
- NUS Personal Data Consent for Job Applicants;
- A detailed CV;
- Cover letter.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.