Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning Startup
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 26 Jul 17
We are looking for talented and highly driven senior software engineers to join our team. You'll help build and scale the platform that powers our range of customer-facing products. You will play a crucial role in working with the engineering teams discussing possible solutions, and then design and develop new services. While our platform is written primarily in Python, we are not looking specifically for Python developers - we are looking for engineers that are comfortable working with new technologies and skills as needed.
As a senior software engineer you will:
- Write and own services that contribute to our seamless service oriented architecture
- Maintain high standards of code design, implementation, testing, and documentation
- Actively participate in code review of your own, and your team's work
- Help design, spec and estimate new features (and changes to existing ones) with other teams
- Identify, investigate, and implement new technologies to our stack
- Participate in our on-call schedule to ensure someone is around in the unlikely event that something stops working
We’re looking for someone with:
- A strong computing background with a degree in computer science 'from a top tier university' or similar
- At least 5 years experience writing production quality, thoroughly tested software - if you have less - consider applying for our junior software role
- A solid understanding of engineering principles and structuring code
- A solid understanding of SQL with the ability to run queries to debug and explore data
- Experience working with different data storage solutions including Redis and PostgreSQL
- Experience designing and implementing solutions that work well in, and take advantage of, distributed systems
- (Preferable) Experience working on user facing products which have strict SLAs
Can you answer yes to all the following questions (or your recruiter, if respresented)?
If yes, please provide brief information with respect to each question
- Have you spent 5 or more years written well tested, readable code?
- Have you worked in a team of software engineers and conducted rigorous code reviews?
- Do you always spend time planning the code you are going to write?
- Will you be comfortable learning and spending your time writing Python or other new languages?
- Do you take ownership of code you write to ensure it is working before deploying it?
- Are you comfortable being on-call when we need monitoring of our product’s uptime?
How to apply
Please send your application (with your CV and *brief* answers to the questions above) to us at email@example.com
>Please provide brief answers to the questions above as part of your application. Applicants who do this will progress>
If you are recruiter, please note we have a panel of recruiters that we work with. We may not reply to applications where we don't have terms with you
Arkera builds state-of-the-art proprietary machine learning software so financial institutions can precisely understand their clients and transform their interests into financial transactions. Our two founding partners have created complex algorithmic trading businesses at D.E. Shaw and Citadel, managed money for George Soros and Warren Buffett, and built client franchises at Goldman Sachs. Our advisors have guided two of the hottest finance startups into present-day unicorns.
Our 20 strategic investors include former CEO's and industry leaders. More than half of our London-based data scientists and engineers studied at Oxbridge or Imperial College. Our consumer app has been designed in collaboration with senior management of major financial institutions who we expect will become our paying clients in the next year.
We are currently working with a major bank having implemented an engagement with them and are in talks with other international financial institutions that want to deliver the best for their customers.